About
The Database of Houses
Travel
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Kings Weston

Kings Weston  England 
Bristol, England

Started 1710
Completed post 1725

Status: Fully Extant

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
Bristol
 Historic County
Somerset, Somersetshire
 City / Town / Village
 Latitude
51.453659
 Longitude
-2.59143

Date
Start Date
1710
Completion Date
post 1725
Circa Date
Images

Architects

Designed   Stables and Lodges
Date   1763

Designed   Saloon
Date   1767

Designed   House for Sir Edward Southwell
Date   1710

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Unknown
Gardens Listed As  
Unknown
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
2.S. Vol.IV. 1828.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
By Appointment
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01179-382-299
Fax Number
01179-380-555
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use
Conference Center
Current Ownership Use / Details

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
Sir Edward Southwell, early 18th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
Sir Edward Southwell
House & Family History
Kings Weston is particularly noted for its massing of 6 huge chimney-stacks into an arcade of connected arches on the roof. The Hall has a fine hanging staircase. In 1970 the House and 38 acres of grounds were acquired for 305,000 by the Bristol Watch Committee for use as a Detective Training Center. During the 1974 local government reorganization, the House was transferred to the ownership of the Avon and Somerset Police Authority and became a police training college. In 1995 the Authority vacated Kings Weston; the House was boarded up and subsequently vandalized. In 2000 John Hardy acquired the House, its Gatehouse, and 5 acres of land and spent 2 million refurbishing the House for use as a conference center. The first floor includes a tea room, restaurant, and gym.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
In axis with the tripartite window of the House is the Banqueting Loggia; there is also another Loggia at the north end of the terrace. In addition, still extant is a Bakehouse, the Penpole Lodge, Home Lodge, Park Lodge, and Henbury Lodge, some of which have been converted into residences. The Stables are across the road from the House to the east and feature a long pedimented range with projecting wings and are today (2002) the Welfare Division of the Avon & Somerset Police Force. The House today sits in a 28-acre park.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
Bibliography

Author   Pevsner, Nikolaus
Year Published   1958
Reference   pgs. 469-470



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
Copyright 1999-2016 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.