About
The Database of Houses
Travel
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Stowe Landscape Gardens, Buckinghamshire

Stowe Landscape Gardens, Buckinghamshire  England 
Buckinghamshire, England

Circa Date: Georgian

Status: Fully Extant

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
Buckinghamshire
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
 Latitude
51.8409
 Longitude
-0.80866

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
Georgian
Images

The Palladian Bridge & The Gothic Temple

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

The Palladian Bridge & The Gothic Temple
The Temple of British Worthies
The Temple of Concord and Victory
Vanbrugh's Rotunda
Architects

Designed   Grounds
Date   circa 1720

Designed   Lady's Temple (remodeled circa 1775 and renamed Queen's Temple)
Date   circa 1744-48

Designed   Imperial Closet (1726-28, dem), Temple of Friendship (1739), Gothic Temple, aka Temple of Liberty (1741-44)
Date   1726-44

Designed   Boycott Pavilions (later altered by Borra)
Date   1726-28

Designed   The Belvedere (demolished 1764 and re-erected as The Fane of Pastoral Poetry, now a ruin)
Date   1728

Designed   Designs for Lord Temple, few of which were probably executed. May have remodeled Gibbs's Lady's Temple (now Queen's Temple)
Date   pre 1774

Designed   Temple of ancient Virtue, The Elysian Fields, the Temple of Venus, and the Temple of British Worthies
Date   1730s

Designed   Temple of Concord and Victory (1752), Corinthian Arch (1765-66)
Date   1752-66

Designed   Follies for 1st Viscount Cobham: Lake Pavilions, Rotonda, Temple of Bacchus (dem), Temple of Sleep (dem), Nelson's Seat (dem), Cold Bath (dem), Pyramid (dem)
Date   circa 1719-24

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Unknown
Gardens Listed As  
Unknown
Country House:  No
Garden

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Grounds Only
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01280-822-850
Fax Number
01280-822-437
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
The National Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use
Visitor Attraction
Current Ownership Use / Details
The National Trust owns the Park and grounds which are open regularly. The House is owned by the Stowe House Preservation Trust, which leases it to Stowe School.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
Grenville family. Temple family. Sir Richad Temple, later Viscount Cobham. Earl Temple. Marquess of Buckingham and Chandos. Richard Plantagenet Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, 19th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
Stowe is considered Europe’s most influential landscape gardens, with 250 acres of landscape gardens, feature lakes, pasture, wooded valleys, and open spaces, adorned with over 30 temples and monuments. At the center lies Stowe House, a great ducal palace and now home to Stowe School, which is opened to the public by Stowe House Preservation Trust. Lord Cobham erected The Temple of Modern Virtue, long ago demolished, facing the extant Temple of Ancient Virtue. During 1999 conservation repairs were made to Dido’s Cave and the Rotondo and work was begun on the Cook Monument, the Gothic Umbrello, Cobham’s Monument, and the Wolfe Obelisk.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
Vanbrugh, Gibbs, Kent, and Leoni landscaped garden temples for Viscount Cobham between 1715-49. The Elysian Fields, designed by William Kent during the 1730s, was one of the first “natural” gardens in England and is believed to have introduced the concept of “the English Garden.” Lancelot ''Capability'' Brown was the head gardener at Stowe for 10 years and was married at the church.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"Jeeves and Wooster" (1990 - TV series - in the episode "Jeeves Takes Charge" [aka "In Court After the Boat Race," aka "Jeeves' Arrival"] the Oxford Bridge was used as part of the grounds of Ditteridge Hall). "Vanity Fair" (1998 - mini series). "The World is Not Enough" (1999 - the Gothic Temple stood in for a Scottish chapel). "A History of Britain" (2000 - TV documentary series). "The Wolfman" (2010 - funeral scene).
Bibliography

Author   NA
Year Published   NA
Reference   Spring 1999, pg. 14


Author   NA
Year Published   1999
Reference  


Author   Woodward, Christopher
Year Published   2001
Reference  


Author   NA
Year Published   NA
Reference   Mar 27, 2003, pgs. 124-128


Author   Worsley, Giles
Year Published   1995
Reference   pg. 219



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2016 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.