About
The Database of Houses
Travel
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Compton Verney (Compton Murdak)

Compton Verney (Compton Murdak)  England 
Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England

Circa Date: rebuilt in 1760s around earlier house

Status: Partially Extant

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
Warwickshire
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
Stratford-Upon-Avon
 Latitude
52.19413
 Longitude
-1.70727

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
rebuilt in 1760s around earlier house
Images

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

Architects

Designed   Alterations to House
Date   1855

Designed   West Range
Date   1714
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   West Front
Date   1714
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   Renovated parkland and garden
Date   circa 1765

Designed   Orangery, rebuilt north and south wings, added portico for Lord Willoughby de Broke
Date   circa 1761-67

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Partially Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II*
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
C. V, pls. 43, 44. 1771.
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
2.S. Vol.II, p.7. 1855.
Country Life
XXXIV, 528 plan. 1913.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Vol.IV. 1821.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Yes
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01926-645-509
Fax Number
01926-645-501
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Private Non-Profit
Primary Current Ownership Use
Museum
Current Ownership Use / Details
Owned by the Compton Verney House Trust and run as a museum and art center.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
John Verney, 15th century. John Peyto-Verney, Baron Willoughby de Broke, 18th century. Barons Willoughby de Broke here until 1921.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
The lands and manor of Compton Murdak were granted to John Verney, Dean of Lichfield (an ancestor of the Lords Willoughby de Broke) by Henry VI in 1440 and remained in the Verney family's ownership until sold in 1921 by the 19th Baron Willoughby de Broke. Compton Verney today is a Georgian Neoclassical house built around an existing Baroque house, with modern additions made to accommodate the art gallery. The House went through many ownerships in the 20th century, finally becoming semi-derelict in the 1980s and 90s. In 1993 Sir Peter Moores (whose fortune comes from the family firm of Littlewoods) purchased the property and spent £21 million converting the House into an art gallery. Sir Peter committed a total of £64 million to operate Compton Verney until 2007. The new Compton Verney Art Gallery was opened by Prince Charles on Mar 23, 2004.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Compton Verney today (2008) contains a fine collection of art formed by Sir Peter Moores, including Neapolitan painting (1600-1800), Northern European works of art (1450-1650), British portraits, British folk art, and Chinese bronzes. The latter features over 70 ritual vessels and other bronzes of the period 1300 BC - 100 AD. A recent acquisition, purchased from the Albright-Knox Gallery, Buffalo, New York, is a Shang dynasty vessel (fang jia) decorated with the designs of an owl. Johann Zoffany’s "The Willoughby de Broke Family," which shows the family in the Breakfast Room at Compton Verney, was sold at Christie’s on Nov 17, 1989 for £3,080,000. The painting, formerly at Compton Verney, is now in the collection of the Getty Museum, Los Angeles.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
Robert Adam designed the Orangery circa 1761-67.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"Flog It!" (2005 - TV BBC documentary series). "Flog It! Ten of the Best" (2008 - TV BBC documentary, episode 7, "Folk Art," touring the folk art collection).
Bibliography

Author   Sayer, Michael
Year Published   1993
Reference  


Author   Colvin, Howard
Year Published   1995
Reference  


Author   Warner, Malcolm; Asleson, Robyn
Year Published   2001
Reference  


Author   Gomme, Andor
Year Published   2000
Reference   pg. 261


Author   NA
Year Published   NA
Reference   May 2008, pg. 42



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2016 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.