DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo

Compton Verney (Compton Murdak)

  • Earlier Houses: The lands and manor of Compton Murdak were granted to John Verney, Dean of Lichfield (an ancestor of the lords Willoughby de Broke), by Henry VI in 1440.

    Built / Designed For: 12th Lord Willoughby de Broke

    House & Family History: Since its creation in the early 18th century Compton Verney has had many alterations and additions, most of it performed by a virtual who's who of Britain's greatest architects—Robert Adam's 18th century work is particularly notable, as it joined the wings together with a delicate portico of giant unfluted Corinthian columns. Adam's two-story hall, with its coving by Gibson and plaster-frames containing Zucchi canvases of fantasy ruins was the star of the house (the coving and plaster frames remain; the Zucchi canvases were sold by the 2nd Lord Minton in 1931). Compton Verney is today primarily a Georgian Neoclassical house built around the earlier Baroque house, with modern additions made to accommodate the art gallery. The house went through many ownerships in the 20th century, particularly after occupation by the military during World War II, finally becoming semi-derelict in the 1980s and 90s. In 1993 Sir Peter Moores (whose fortune came from the family firm of Littlewoods, the retail and gambling company) purchased Compton Verney and spent £21 million converting the house into an art gallery. The new Compton Verney Art Gallery & Park was opened by Prince Charles on March 23, 2004.

    Collections: Compton Verney today contains a fine collection of art formed by Sir Peter Moores, including Neapolitan paintings (1600-1800), Northern European works of art (1450-1650), British portraits, British folk art, and Chinese bronzes (the latter features over 70 ritual vessels and other bronzes of the period 1300 BC-100 AD). A recent acquisition, purchased from the Albright-Knox Gallery, Buffalo, New York, is a Shang dynasty vessel (fang jia) decorated with the designs of an owl. Johann Zoffany's circa 1766 “John, 14th Lord Willoughby de Broke, and His Family," which shows the family in the breakfast room at Compton Verney (see "Images" section), was sold at Christie's on November 17, 1989 for £3,080,000. The painting, formerly at Compton Verney, is today in the collection of the Getty Museum, Los Angeles.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Robert Adam's orangery of circa 1761-67 was demolished. Gibbs's pedimented nine-bay stables, complete with turret, is extant.

    Chapel & Church: The chapel, designed by Capability Brown in 1772 in the delicate Adam style, is extant.

  • Architect: Henry Hakewill

    Date: 1824
    Designed: Internal alterations for 16th Lord Willoughby de Broke

    View all houses

    Architect: James Gibbs

    Date: 18th century
    Designed: Stables for John Verney

    View all houses

    Architect: John Vanbrugh

    Date: 1714
    Designed: West Range for 12th Lord Willoughby de Broke
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: John Gibson

    Date: 1855
    Designed: Alterations to House

    View all houses

    Architect: Francis Smith

    Date: Circa 1714
    Designed: Erected house for 12th Lord Willoughby de Broke
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: Circa 1765-78
    Designed: ATTRIBUTED: Parkland and garden (circa 1765) and Bridge (1770-72). CONFIRMED: Chapel (1776-78).

    View all houses

    Architect: Robert Adam

    Date: Circa 1761-67
    Designed: Rebuilt north and south wings, added portico, formed Great Hall, and designed Orangery (demolished) for 14th Lord Willoughby de Broke.

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Britannicus: C. V, pls. 43, 44, 1771.

    John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 7, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.

    Country Life: XXXIV, 528 plan, 1913.

  • Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Author: Reid, Peter
    Year Published: 1980
    Reference: pgs. 138-139
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110319
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Apollo (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: May 2008, pg. 42
    Publisher: London: Apollo Magazine Ltd.
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Smith of Warwick: Francis Smith, Architect and Master-Builder
    Author: Gomme, Andor
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 261
    Publisher: Lincolnshire: Shaun Tyas
    ISBN: 1900289385
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Great British Paintings from American Collections: Holbein to Hockney
    Author: Warner, Malcolm; Asleson, Robyn
    Year Published: 2001
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale Center for British Art
    ISBN: 0300092229
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 51, 168, 421, 466, 943
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
    Author: Sayer, Michael
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
    ISBN: 0859551970
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II*

  • "Flog It!" (2005 - BBC TV documentary series). "Flog It! Ten of the Best" (2008 - BBC TV documentary, episode 7, "Folk Art"). "Gambit" (2012 - as the art gallery in Lionel Shabandar's country house).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: John Verney, 15th century; Greville Verney, 7th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 15th Baron Latimer, until 1642; Greville Verney, 8th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 16th Baron Latimer, 1642-48; Greville Verney, 9th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 17th Baron Latimer, 1648-68; William Verney, 10th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 18th Baron Latimer, 1668-83; Richard Verney, 11th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 19th Baron Latimer, 1683-1711. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: George Verney, 12th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 20th Baron Latimer, 1714-28; Richard Verney, 13th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 21st Baron Latimer, 1728-52; John Peyto-Verney, 14th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 22nd Baron Latimer, 1752-1816; John Peyto-Verney, 15th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 23rd Baron Latimer, 1816-20; Henry Peyto-Verney, 16th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 24th Baron Latimer, 1820-52; Robert John Verney, 17th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 25th Baron Latimer, 1852-62; Colonel Henry Verney, 18th Baron Willoughby de Broke and de jure 26th Baron Latimer, 1862-1902; Richard Greville Verney, 19th Baron Willoughby de Broke, 1902-21; Verney family here from 1440 until 1921. George Miles Watson, 2nd Baron Manton, early 20th century. Mr. H. Elland, mid-20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Museum

    Ownership Details: Owned by Compton Verney House Trust and operated as a museum, art center, and park.

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01926-645-500

    Fax: 01926-645-501

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.comptonverney.org.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No


Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now