DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo

Dalmeny House (Dalmeny Park) (Barnbougle Castle)

  • Earlier Houses: Dalmeny replaced Barnbougle Castle, a 13th century tower house, which still stands nearby.

    House & Family History: The Estate was acquired in 1662 by Sir Archibald Primrose, whose son was created 1st Earl of Rosebery in 1703. In 1774 Neil Primrose, 3rd Earl of Rosebery, commissioned Robert Adam to design a new house to replace Barnbougle Castle; however, these plans were never carried out. It was left to the 3rd Earl's son, Archibald Primrose, the 4th Earl, to build the new house. The 4th Earl employed his Cambridge classmate, William Wilkins (most famous today as the architect of the National Gallery, London), to build his new house. Completed in 1817, Dalmeny was based on the 16th century East Barsham Manor in Norfolk (see photo of in "Images" section) and was the first house in Scotland to be built in the Tudor Revival style. Surprisingly, considering its exterior, the interiors of the Dalmeny are in the Regency style and boasts an exceptional collection of art.

    Collections: The collection at Dalmeny includes paintings by Gainsborough, Raeburn, Reynolds, Lawrence, and the Rothschild collection of 18th century French furniture and porcelain formerly at Mentmore Towers. The Mentmore collection came to Dalmeny as a result of the famous May 1977 sale of the contents of that house; the collection came into the family through the 5th Earl's 1878 marriage to Hannah, daughter and heir of Mayer de Rothschild. Formed by the 5th Earl, Dalmeny also holds one of Britain's largest collections of Napoleonic memorabilia, today housed in the Napoleon Room.

  • Architect: William Wilkins Jr.

    Date: 1814-17
    Designed: House in Tudor Gothic style for 4th Earl of Rosebery

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 1058
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Listed as a Garden & Designed Landscape

  • "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" (1969). "The Little Vampire" (2000). "Hidden Treasure Houses" (2004 - half-hour documentary by James Miller of Sotheby's). "A Castle for Christmas" (2021 - as Dun Dunbar Castle).
  • Current Seat / Home of: Neil Archibald Primrose, 7th Earl of Rosebery and 3rd Earl of Midlothian; Primrose family here for over 300 years.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Mowbray family, 13th century until 1662. Sir Archibald Primrose, 17th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01313-311-888

    Fax: 01313-311-788

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: http://www.dalmeny.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: Yes