DiCamillo Companion
England

Fairlight Hall (Fairlight Manor) (Fairlight Castle) (Greystones) (Stonelink)

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: William Drew Lucas-Shadwell

    House & Family History: In 1936 Fairlight Hall was sold at auction to Queen's School, who were here until 1950 (during World War II Queen’s School was home to a number of German Jewish refugee children).

  • Garden & Outbuildings: At its height in the 19th century, the estate spanned 4,000 acres; the house today sits in 90 acres of grounds. The coach house is used as a performance space today.

  • Architect: John Crake

    Date: 1848
    Designed: House for William Drew Lucas-Shadwell

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1950 - as Usher House).
  • Current Seat / Home of: David Kowitz; here since 2002.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Eu family, 11th century. Robert St. Ledger, 12th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: William Drew Lucas-Shadwell, 1855-75; William Peter Lucas-Shadwell, 1875-1915; William Noel Lucas-Shadwell, 1915-28. James Kirkley (tenant), early 20th century. Captain Ronald Methven Grigg (tenant), circa 1914-22. Edward Festus Kelly (tenant), 1922-28. Sir James Roberts, 1928-36. Major John Reginald Mundy, 1951-59. Clifford Stuart, 1959-60. Leonard Cooper, 1960-63. Cyril Savage, 1965-80. Roy Robinson, 1980-91. Robert Lutz, 1991-98.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: Limited Access to Grounds Only

    Phone: 01424-814-132

    Fax: 01424-814-873

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.fairlighthall.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No