DiCamillo Companion
Wales

Golden Grove Mansion (Gelli Aur)

  • Earlier Houses: The first mansion of 1560 was rebuilt in 1754, after a fire. The 18th century house was demolished when the new (current) 19th century house was completed 700 yards up the hill.

    Built / Designed For: The current (third) house was built for the 1st Earl Cawdor

    House & Family History: The Golden Grove Estate originally comprised over 50,000 acres, 27 manors and lordships, and five castles. In 1952 Golden Grove Mansion was leased to Carmarthenshire County Council. In 1962 the 6th Earl Cawdor built a new house, called Golden Grove House, on the other side of the River Towy (Afon Tywi). In 1972 the entire Golden Grove Estate was sold by the 6th Earl to the council. In 2003 the mansion was used by Carmarthen College of Technology and Art. In 2006 Lady Elizabeth (Liza) Campbell, daughter of the 6th Earl Cawdor, Hugh John Vaughan Campbell (1932-93), published her memoir of him, called "Title Deeds: a Work of Friction," which covered family life at Golden Grove. In 2007 the mansion was sold to a private developer by the council. In January 2009 the unrestored Tudor style mansion and 100 acres were listed for sale for £1.5 million ("Country Life," Jan 21, 2009, pg. 14). During this time plans were unveiled that included conversion to flats, a hotel, and a convalescent home, none of which took place. In 2011 the house and park were sold to Golden Grove Trust, which plan to restore the house and open it as an arts center.

  • Architect: Jeffry Wyatville (Wyattville) (Wyatt)

    Date: 1826-28
    Designed: Third (current) House for 1st Earl Cawdor

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, p. 94, 1854.

  • Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Author: Reid, Peter
    Year Published: 1980
    Reference: pg. 95
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110319
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "Decline and Fall" (2017 - BBC TV mini series). "Six Minutes to Midnight" (2020).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Richard Vaughan, 2nd Earl of Carbery, 17th century; Vaughan family here from 1560 until 1804. John Campbell, 1st Baron Cawdor, 1804-21. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Frederick Campbell, 1st Earl Cawdor, 1821-60; Campbell family here from 1804 until 1972.

    Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied

    Ownership Details: Owned by the Golden Grove Trust

  • House Open to Public: No

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.goldengrove.org.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now