The Haynes Grange paneling as seen today at the V&A
Drawing of the interior of the Roman Pantheon from Serlio's 16th century "Seven Books on Architecture." The Haynes Grange paneling was very likely modeled on this drawing.
Collections: The Haynes Grange paneling (see "Images" section), which may have been designed by Inigo Jones, is part of one of the earliest interiors in Britain planned according to the principles of classical architecture. The design of the paneling, noted for its Corinthian pilasters, was almost certainly inspired by an engraving of the interior of the Pantheon in Rome that appeared in Sebastiano Serlio’s immensely influential “Seven Books on Architecture”(see “Images” section), published in Italy between 1537 and 1551. The pine paneling, which was probably created between 1590 and 1620, is unusual for its unpainted surfaces (pine paneling during this time was usually painted in bright colors). In spite of its name, it is now believed that the room, also known as the Pigeon Gallery (from the birds on its ceiling), was originally installed at Chicksands Priory as a gallery. Around 1754 the paneling was moved to Haynes Grange (hence its name), where it was probably reduced to fit a smaller space. Circa 1909 the paneling was sold from Haynes Grange and reinstalled at 13 Lansdowne Road, Holland Park, London. The paneling was purchased from 13 Lansdowne Road in 1929 by the Victoria & Albert Museum, in whose collection it remains today. Previously the paneling was thought to have come from Houghton House in Bedfordshire, but this theory was disproved by Mark Girouard in 1992.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No