DiCamillo Companion

High Ashurst House (Ashurst Lodge) (Ashurst) (High Ashes) (Wentworth Hall)

  • House & Family History: In the early 20th century High Ashurst served as housing for the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA), a purpose it served until 1924. The house later became a boarding school named Wentworth Hall. During World War II, High Ashurst was occupied by the Canadian military. After the war the house was abandoned; in 1961 Surrey County Council ordered the demolition of the derelict house, a process that was carried out in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: At its height in the 19th century the estate spanned 1,300 acres.

  • Architect: Henry Edward Kendall

    Date: Circa 1835
    Designed: Alterations and additions for William Strahan

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 611
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Andrew Strahan, until 1831; William Strahan, 1831-45. William Snow, 1845-55. Sir Henry Muggeridge, 1855-66. James Christopher Wilson, 1860s-70s. Henry Dudley Ryder, 4th Earl of Harrowby, 1882-1900.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: Today the former grounds of the house serve as an outdoor education center

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Historic Houses Member: No