DiCamillo Companion

Lanhydrock House (Lanhydroc)

  • House & Family History: Lanhydrock is one of the most fascinating and complete late 19th century houses in England. Although the gatehouse and north wing (the latter of which contains a magnificent 32-yard-long gallery with a fine plaster ceiling; see "Images" section) survive from the 17th century, the rest of the house was rebuilt following a disastrous fire in 1881 (the fire destroyed everything except the entrance porch and north wing). The rebuilt house featured the latest in contemporary living, including central heating. Thomas Hardy went to Cornwall in 1872 to meet his father-in-law and probably saw Lanhydrock for the first time. Endelstow House, in Hardy's "A Pair of Blue Eyes," was probably modeled on Lanhydrock.

    Comments: Lanhydrock is considered the finest house in Cornwall.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The garden has a fine collection of magnolias, rhododendrons, and camellias, set in an estate of 900 acres of woods and parkland running down to the River Fowey. The bridge is medieval; the gatehouse is 17th century; the formal garden parterres are Victorian. The original entrance drive was lined with ancient beech and sycamore trees moved from the gatehouse near the medieval bridge.

  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 174, 1855.

    Country Life: XIV, 890, 1903. CLXIII, 382 plan, 458 plan, 1978.

  • Title: Hardy Country
    Author: Howard, Tom
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 21
    Publisher: London: Grange Books
    ISBN: 185627778X
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "Poldark" (1975 - TV series, as Sir Francis Basset's house). "The Three Musketeers" (1993). "Twelfth Night" (1996 - as interiors and some exteriors of Olivia's house).
  • Past Seat / Home of: John Robartes, 1st Earl of Radnor (first creation) and Viscount Bodmin, 1620-85; Charles Bodvile Robartes, 2nd Earl of Radnor, 1685-1723; Henry Robartes, 3rd Earl of Radnor, 1723-41; John Robartes, 4th Earl of Radnor, 1741-57

    Current Ownership Type: The National Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01208-265-950

    Fax: 01208-265-959

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No