DiCamillo Companion

Lynford Hall

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house, designed by James Nelthorpe in 1717, was replaced by the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Stephen Lyne-Stephens

    House & Family History: Stephen Lyne-Stephens spent the enormous sum of £145,000 (approximately £100 million in 2016 inflation-adjusted values using the Labour Value Commodity Index) to create the Jacobean-style Lynford Hall. The house has hosted a long line of royal visitors, including Edward VII, George V and Queen Mary, Prince Albert (later George VI), and the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII. The Forestry Commission purchased Lynford Hall in 1930. During World War II the house was requisitioned by the government and used as an officers' convalescent hospital; post-war Lynford Hall was turned into a foresters' training college. The college closed in 1957, after which the house was converted into a hotel, a purpose it has served ever since.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: At its peak in the mid-19th century, the estate spanned 7,718 acres. In 1924 6,200 acres were sold to the Forestry Commission and subsequently became Thetford Forest Park. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries Lynford was one of the finest sporting estates in East Anglia.

  • Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1856-60
    Designed: House for Stephen Lyne-Stephens

    View all houses
  • Title: Creating Paradise: The Building of the English Country House, 1660-1880
    Author: Wilson, Richard; Mackley, Alan
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 35
    Publisher: London: Hambledon and London
    ISBN: 1852852526
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "Dad's Army" (1968-77 - TV series). "'Allo 'Allo!" (1982-92 - TV series, front exteriors as the German headquarters, and the cobbled courtyard as Nouvion town square). "You Rang, M'Lord?" (1988-93 - TV series). "Love on a Branch Line" (1994 - TV mini series).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: James Nelthorpe, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Stephen Lyne-Stephens, 19th century. Sir James Calder, 20th century. Gerald Rand, 1971-95.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

    Ownership Details: Today Lynford Hall Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01842-878-351

    Fax: 01842-878-252

    Website: https://www.lynfordhallhotel.co.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No