DiCamillo Companion

Malvern Hall (Malvern Farm)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on the site, Malvern Farm, elements of which may have been incorporated into the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Humphrey Greswold

    House & Family History: Malvern was the seat of Henry Greswold(e) Lewis (see portrait in "Images" section) who, after inheriting the Malvern Estate in the late 18th century, commissioned John Soane for additions (before Soane's work Malvern was a seven-bay house with a central pediment). Soane added a shallow porch with Ionic columns, and wings, among other changes. Later, Lewis swept away Soane's work and carried out further alterations. Lewis was also a patron of Constable and commissioned several works from the artist over a period of 20 years. Constable was at Malvern in 1809 and again in 1820, when he painted several versions of the house. It appears that Constable painted three views of Malvern Hall as a result of his 1820-21 visit—all similar. One is in the collection of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, Massachusetts; the second is at the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut; and the third is at the Musée de Tesse, Le Mans, France. The Clark painting, which was commissioned as a topographical record of the house and its setting, remained in the family until the early 20th century. In 1926, after passing through a number of private owners, Horace Brueton, who had owned Malvern since 1915, sold the house to Solihull's Rural District Council. In one form or another, Malvern Hall has been a school since 1931, including Saint Martin's School, Malvern Hall School, and Solihull High School for Girls.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In 1926 agricultural land northwest of the house was purchased by the local council and turned into the public Malvern Park. In 1944 part of the house's southeastern parkland was given to the town by Horace Brueton, creating the public Brueton Park. In 1963 the two public parks were linked.

  • Architect: John Soane

    Date: 1783-86
    Designed: Altered House and added wings (demolished 1899) for Henry Greswold Lewis

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 966
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Country Houses in Great Britain
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 1979
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale Center for British Art
    ISBN: 0930606191
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Robert, Lord Brooke, until circa 1640. Job Murcott, 1657-80. The Rev. Henry Greswold, 1680-1700. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Humphrey Greswold, Circa 1702-12; The Rev. Marshall Greswold, 1712-28; Marshall Greswold, until 1749; John Greswold, until 1760. David Lewis, 1760-73; Henry Greswold Lewis, 1773-1829; Colonel Edmund Meysey Wigley Greswolde, 1829-33; Henry Wigley Greswolde, 1833-49. Francis Edward Williams, until 1885; John Francis Williams, until 1892; Francis Wigley Greswolde Williams, 1892-96. David Troman, 1896-1915. Horace Brueton, 1915-26.

    Current Ownership Type: School

    Primary Current Ownership Use: School

    Ownership Details: Today Solihull School

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01217-050-958

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.solsch.org.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No