DiCamillo Companion

Newnham Paddox

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the 18th century house (the second house).

    House & Family History: In the Great War Newnham Paddox was used as a convalescent hospital; during World War II (1940-46) the house was let to nuns of the Holy Sepulchre from New Hall, Chelmsford, who ran a convent school here. After the school closed Newnham Paddox was unoccupied; the second house was demolished 1952, after severe water damage from burst pipes.

    House Replaced By: A smaller wooden house (the third house) was erected in 1982 on the site of the forecourt of the great 18th century house. The 20th century house was replaced when the fourth house was completed in 2021.

    Collections: The dagger that was supposedly used in 1628 to kill George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, was once in the collection at Newnham Paddox (the Duke of Buckingham's sister, Susan Villiers, was married to William Feilding, 1st Earl of Denbigh).

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Wrought-iron gates from Berwick House, Shropshire (see "Images" section), were installed on the entrance facade of Newnham Paddox in the 19th century.

  • Architect: Giles Quarme Architects

    Date: 2021
    Designed: Fourth (current) house for 12th Earl of Denbigh

    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: 1755-68
    Designed: Second house (demolished) for 6th Earl of Denbigh

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt

    Date: 1876-79
    Designed: Catholic chapel; rebuilt second house (demolished) in French chateau style for 8th Earl of Denbigh

    View all houses

    Architect: John Webb

    Date: 1818-21
    Designed: Altered grounds for 7th Earl of Denbigh

    View all houses

    Architect: John Fleming

    Date: Circa 1870
    Designed: Alterations to gardens for 8th Earl of Denbigh

    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: 1746-70
    Designed: Grounds for 5th and 6th Earls of Denbigh

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 167
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Current Seat / Home of: Alexander Stephen Rudolph Feilding, 12th Earl of Denbigh and 11th Earl of Desmond; Feilding family here since 1433.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSES: Sir William Feilding, 1st Earl of Denbigh, until 1643; Basil Feilding, 2nd Earl of Denbigh, 1643-75; William Feilding, 3rd Earl of Denbigh and 2nd Earl of Desmond, 1675-85; Basil Feilding, 4th Earl of Denbigh and 3rd Earl of Desmond, 1685-1717; William Feilding, 5th Earl of Denbigh and 4th Earl of Desmond, 1717-55. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Basil Feilding, 6th Earl of Denbigh and 5th Earl of Desmond, 1755-1800; William Basil Percy Feilding, 7th Earl of Denbigh and 6th Earl of Desmond, 1800-65; Rudolph William Basil Feilding, 8th Earl of Denbigh and 7th Earl of Desmond, 1865-92; Rudolph Robert Basil Aloysius Augustine Feilding, 9th Earl of Denbigh and 8th Earl of Desmond, 1892-1939; William Rudolph Stephen Feilding, 10th Earl of Denbigh and 9th Earl of Desmond, 1939-52. SEATED AT THIRD HOUSE: William Rudolph Michael Feilding, 11th Earl of Denbigh and 10th Earl of Desmond, 1982-95; Alexander Stephen Rudolph Feilding, 12th Earl of Denbigh and 11th Earl of Desmond, 1995-2020.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: The estate, though greatly reduced, remains owned by the Feilding family; the current earl lives in a 21st century house on the estate.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No