A late 19th century lithograph of the great hall from Joseph Nash's "Interiors of Old English Mansions"
House & Family History: Parham, originally a grange of Westminster Abbey, features large fireplaces with four centered arches were probably part of the original kitchens of the grange. In 1577 the cornerstone of a new house was laid by Thomas Palmer, then two years old. In 1922 The Hon. Clive Pearson, younger son of Viscount Cowdray, purchased Parham from the 13th Lady Zouche. Pearson and his wife worked diligently to restore the House and opened Parham to visitors in 1948. During World War II Parham sheltered evacuee children and Canadian soldiers.
Collections: A life-size equestrian of Prince Henry, circa 1611, by Robert Peake the Elder is in the collection. Parham is also home to the finest collection of 17th century embroidery in the United Kingdom.
Garden & Outbuildings: There is a fine four-acre walled garden, a lake, a turf maze, and 875 acres of working agricultural and forestry land. Around the House is a 300-acre ancient deer park, whose fallow deer are the descendants of the original herd, first recorded here in 1628. Parham was the winner of the HHA/Christie's Garden of the Year Award, 1990. The Stable Block of 1778 was done up in the Tudor style in the 1830s, possibly by Anthony Salvin. There are also 18th century Lodges at the entrances to the Park.
Chapel & Church: The Church of St. Peter (circa 1540s) was completely remodeled circa 1820.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pgs. 805-806
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
Title: Buildings of England: Sussex, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Nairn, Ian
Year Published: 1973
Reference: pgs. 290-292
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Great British Paintings from American Collections: Holbein to Hockney
Author: Warner, Malcolm; Asleson, Robyn
Year Published: 2001
Publisher: New Haven: Yale Center for British Art
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade II*
Current Seat / Home of: Lady Emma Barnard
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Thomas Palmer, 16th century. Sir Thomas Bishopp, 3rd Bt., until 1652; Sir Cecil Bishopp, 4th Bt., until 1705; Sir Cecil Bishopp, 5th Bt., until 1725; Sir Cecil Bishopp, 6th Bt., until 1778; Sir Cecil Bishopp, 7th Bt., 1778-79; Cecil Bisshopp, 12th Baron Zouche, until 1828; Bisshopp family here until 1922. Clive Pearson, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned by Parham Park Trust.