DiCamillo Companion

Rotherwas House (Rotherwas Court)

  • Earlier Houses: There were probably a number of earlier houses on, or near, the site of the 17th century house.

    House & Family History: After the 1912 death of the last member of the family, Count Lubienski Bodenham, the Rotherwas Estate was dismantled; in 1913 thirteen wood-paneled rooms were removed from the house and sent to the United States, where they were retailed at the Charles Gallery in New York City (the gallery was owned by C.J. Charles, also known as Charles Duveen or Charles of London, brother of Joseph Duveen). Herbert Lee Pratt purchased a circa 1605-11 room for the very large sum of $350,000 in February 1913 and had it installed in The Braes, his new Jacobean style house in Glen Cove, Long Island, which still stands today. At his death in 1945, Pratt bequeathed the Rotherwas Room to the Mead Art Museum at Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts. In 1948-49 the famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, incorporated the room into the design of the museum's new building. In the mid-20th century Robert Frost gave public readings of his poetry in the Rotherwas Room. Nemours, the Wilmington, Delaware, estate of the du Pont family, contains 16th century English paneling that may have been removed from Rotherwas.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The 18th century stableblock has been converted into flats.

  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 124, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, 1825.

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT 17TH CENTURY HOUSE: Sir Roger Bodenham, 17th century; Charles Bodenham, 18th century; Count Lubienski Bodenham, until 1912.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No