DiCamillo Companion
England

Streatlam Castle

  • House & Family History: George Bowes's only child, Mary Eleanor, married the 9th Earl of Strathmore. Mary Eleanor was succeeded by her son, the 10th Earl of Strathmore. John Bowes, founder of the Bowes Museum at Barnard Castle, was the illegitimate son of 10th Earl. The armorial ceiling from Streatlam Castle is now housed in the Bowes Museum. The Army occupied the House between 1939 and 1945, after which it was abandoned. In 1959 the shell of the House was blown up as a training exercise by the Territorial Army.

    Collections: The contents of Streatlam Castle were sold at auction in 1927.

  • Architect: Thomas Shirley

    Date: 1720-26
    Designed: May have transformed House into a grand Baroque mansion
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Edward Watson

    Designed: Internal alterations

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, p. 58, 1854.

    Country Life: XXXVIII, 836, 1915.

  • Title: Gibside Guidebook
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 1999
    Reference: pg. 32
    Publisher: London: The National Trust
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Light Softback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pgs. 10, 187
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 921
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Lost Houses of County Durham
    Author: Meadows, Peter; Waterson, Edward
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649418
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Thomas Lyon-Bowes, 12th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now