DiCamillo Companion

Tortworth Court

  • Built / Designed For: Lord Ducie

    House & Family History: Tortworth was requisitioned in 1939 by the Royal Navy and became a naval training school called HMS "Cabala." In 1951 the house became Leyhill Officers' Training School; within a few years it was handed over to the Home Office, who used it as Leyhill Open Prison. In 1987 the house and 22 acres of grounds were sold; in 1991, during repairs, the Tortworth caught fire and considerable damage was caused. Tortworth Court is today a hotel.

  • Architect: Samuel Sanders Teulon

    Date: 1849-51
    Designed: House for Lord Ducie

    View all houses
  • Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume Three, 1830-2000, The
    Author: Kingsley, Nicholas; Hill, Michael
    Year Published: 2001
    Publisher: Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
    ISBN: 1860771203
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II*

  • Past Seat / Home of: Henry George Francis Reynolds-Moreton, 2nd Earl of Ducie, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

    Ownership Details: Today De Vere Tortworth Court Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01454-263-000

    Website: https://www.devere.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No