The entrance facade of the rebuilt House in Richmond, Virginia.
The entrance hall of the rebuilt house in Richmond, Virginia.
The garden facade of the rebuilt house in Richmond, Virginia.
Interior woodwork in the rebuilt house in Richmond, Virginia.
The rear garden of the rebuilt house in Richmond, Virginia.
House & Family History: In 1925 Warwick Priory was put on the block at a demolition sale, where the sandstone shell of the House (the interiors had been stripped), the stained glass windows, and the oak support beams were purchased by an American couple, Alexander and Virginia Weddell. After the stained glass and woodwork was removed, a small explosion loosened the stones, allowing them to be numbered, packed, and shipped to the United States. Between 1925 and 1929 Warwick Priory was rebuilt, on a smaller scale, as Virginia House (named after Mrs. Weddell) in Richmond, Virginia. Situated on an eight-acre site overlooking the James River, Virginia House is today owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society and open to the public on a limited basis.
Comments: Warwick Priory was one of the most important early 17th century houses in Warwickshire.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Lloyd family.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No